Tuesday, May 25, 2010

78. Porter: Strong Record on Public Education

May 25, 2010 by Dustin
Filed under: Election 2010, State News


Twelve years ago, Saxon Heights Elementary School in Dublin, Georgia, had some of the lowest reading scores in the state.

Marie Hooks, the principal, asked me if I could help.

Rather than telling Marie what her teachers should be doing in their classrooms, I asked Marie what her teachers needed. Marie needed assistance in securing technology in the classroom, lowering class sizes, and increasing parental participation to 100 percent. I was able to help her achieve those goals.

The next year, Saxon Heights made Adequate Yearly Progress for the first time. Because we worked together, Saxon Heights is now one of the top Title I elementary schools in Georgia.

Our teachers are expected to produce miracles. Instead of blaming them, I will give our valuable educators the tools to succeed in the classroom.

Public education is at stake in this election.

We can do what Saxon Heights did with every school in this state. This will be my priority as your next Governor.

http://galiberal.com/

ShareThis